Xieng Khouang is located in the Xieng Khouang Plateau in the north-east of Laos. Xieng Khouang in Laos language means ‘Horizontal city’. It is quite small province with the total area of 15,880 square kilometers and population of about 230,000 people. Mountains make up largely part of the total area, however, Xieng Khouang is still one of the main producing areas of Laos thanks to the fertile floodplain.
- Location: Northeastern Laos, bordering Luang Prabang Province to the northwest, Houaphan Province to the northeast, Vietnam to the East
- Population: 299,512 people (2005)
- Area: 15,881 square kilometers
- Most attractive: the Plain of Jars
- High level of biodiversity and a number of endangered species such as tiger, clouded leopard, black bear, etc.